Greetings, it is Nicholas once again! Today is Black Friday, and I found that sitting in a line with headphones in for two hours is a prime setting to listen to some tunes. For my familiar selections, I analyzed Hey Jude by the Beatles and Captain Jack by Billy Joel. In Hey Jude, the ringing piano sound gave me a comfortable, familiar feeling that made belting out the lyrics almost natural. This comfortable sound, along with the personal lyrics, makes the song as a whole very approachable. One of the reasons that I enjoy this song so much is because I feel as if it's the old friend that's there to give advice to you in time of need. The Entertainer is a horse of a different color. The energetic, fun music that is featured in The Entertainer gives the listener a happy, fun vibe at first but as Billy unravels the lyrics it becomes apparent that the only reason the music was a facade and was so that the listener would buy his music so Billy could make a living.
For my unfamiliar selections I listened to Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. In Stairway to Heaven, I found it particularly interesting the contrast of how loud the music was compared to the vocals. Although this contrast is dominant throughout the entirety of the song, the dynamic level rests around piano and has a soft texture to it. The music correlates with the songs message as the listener hears the calm and collected lyrics, the underlying music supports a relaxed mindset. As I listened to this song I felt peaceful with a focus on the firm, yet soothing instrumental arrangement. That's it guys! Thanks for tuning in and make sure to check back in next week!
Nice entries on both songs Needs, Johnny approves. I especially like Billy Joel because he is one of Johnny's favorites but I have never heard of Captain Jack. As for your unfamiliar music, Stairway to Heaven is a beautiful song which I still listen to frequently. I do agree that Stairway to Heaven had a huge sound when comparing it to the vocals. Also, wonderful job lasting through the line during Black Friday, I gave up a long time ago. Good job Needs, solid performance.
ReplyDeleteI am Ronald Reagan and I approve of this blog.
Absolutely Love both selections! Nick, that is a great analysis. Although stairway to heaven is a long song I enjoy it because it has several different dimensions within it.
ReplyDelete